Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What do you do when there are no more shoots or classes posted?

The challenge of running an internship program is - How do you engage interns so they keep coming back after the required classes are finished? There are only so many opportunities we can drum up between mobile truck productions, "Local Editions", and "White Board" shoots. Ultimately, we want you to take the lead and the training we have provided and put it to use. Go forth and multiply (It's just an expression!)!

But How?

The first step is to stay connected to other interns and to us, use this blog and call or visit the office to see what's going on. If you want to stay involved, the best way is to produce something. Ideas are easy to find if you start with you (No, this isn't going to be a seminar on self-motivation). What are your hobbies? What do you like to do? Do your friends or family participate in something that sounds interesting, fun, and (hopefully) community-based?

Look in your local paper, there are often demonstrations, exhibits, presentations that are great opportunities to collect footage, or shoot non-stop and have something to show for your time. Fill out a proposal form and hand it in to a staff member. we will look it over and advise you on the next steps to take. Please don't look to us for specific project ideas, we will not ask, send, direct, coerce, beg, or plead with you to shoot anything. It has to be your idea your decision that's what makes a producer. If we ever acheive Newschannel status, then we will send you, and probably pay you, but that is something completely different from CTV-21.

For now, plan on attending the Intern Film Festival on April 8th (not to be confused with the Kent Film Festival on Friday) and anything else that gets posted. Work on the 3-5 minute producer training productions and call for more guidance if you need it.

3 comments:

  1. That's very true. Currently, I'm in the process of editing my own production, a genealogy presentation I shot in February with a camcorder, tripod, & lavalier mic I borrowed from CTV-21.

    I'm learning a lot about the editing process (using Final Cut Express on the new state-of-the-art Macs in the studio's editing booth) and am having a wonderful time doing so.

    The local access coordinators have been extremely helpful in guiding me with my production, and I look forward to their continued expert assistance as I work on my project.

    I encourage all of my fellow interns to produce their own project. As I'm discovering, you'll find it to be a very rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words and insipration Rocco.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment freely, however, remember that your comment my not be read by your intended recipient. It is advisable to make direct contact to assure your message has been received.